For his latest solo project, Michael Lee invites you to share your best excuse for not turning up, and then see it transformed into a performance. “I can’t, I have to go to Mongolia” is a community project that explores excuse as a site of struggle and dilemma. It strives to develop ways to resist the expectation to perform the social role of networking in the contemporary art scene.
Showing up at every art event or not at all could both mean oblivion. Between lying by saying you’ll be there when you won’t and feeling guilty about saying no when you actually want to, what have you got? Excuses tend to be a means to the endpoint of successfully avoiding a duty or obligation. What if excuses are starting points instead? What if your excuse becomes the seed of a new performance?
To participate as a contributor,
1. Text Michael your best excuse on whatsapp or FB messenger by 6 Feb 2020.
2. Your excuse may be in any language or form (textual/visual).
3. Be as honest or fake, serious or absurd, as you like.
4. Attend the opening or final-weekend performances to watch your excuse transformed into a new creative piece!
To participate as a performer,
1. Drop Michael a text on whatsapp or FB messenger by 6 Feb 2020.
2. Your performance may be in any form (live or mediated) and genre.
3. You may perform someone else’s excuse or your own.
“I can’t, I have to go to Mongolia” is the second project of the exhibition series, “12 Solo” of Comma Space 逗号空间.
Opening reception & performances: 13 Feb, Thu, 6.30–9pm
Discussion with Anca Rujoiu: 22 Feb, 4-5pm
Tuesday to Fridays (4-8pm)
Saturdays and Sundays (12-8pm)
Venue: Comma Space, 51 Jalan Pemimpin, #04-02, Singapore 577206
When: 13 - 23 Feb 2020,
By: Comma Space