Deadline: Sunday 16 April 2023 (2359H SGT)
Submit your application here.
The Objectifs Documentary Award champions Objectifs’ mission to broaden perspectives through image making, by supporting original voices in visual storytelling in Singapore and the wider region. The Award enables photographers to work on new or existing projects, encouraging them to tell stories about their native communities. It welcomes different creative approaches to non-fiction storytelling, from conventional documentary photography to visual experiments. Projects may be presented in still images or use multimedia.
Successful recipients will be given professional and financial support to work on their projects over a 6 month-long period. The final works will exhibited at Objectifs in March to April 2024. Deadline for applications is Sunday, 16 April 2023 (2359H SGT).
1) Open Category
The Open Category is awarded to 1 recipient from Southeast Asia. The recipient will work with curator Roger Nelson to curate and present a solo exhibition at Objectifs in March 2024, and SGD$2,500 to work on a new or existing body of work.
2) Emerging Category
The Emerging Category will be awarded to 2 recipients from Southeast Asia. Each recipient receives a 6 month-long mentorship with photographer and curator Ng Swan Ti, a presentation at Objectifs in March 2024, and SGD$1,000 to work on a new or existing body of work.
Recipients will receive production and logistical support from Objectifs for the exhibition. Completed works will be promoted on Objectifs’ website and social media channels. If the recipient is not based in Singapore, they will receive financial support for budget flights and accommodation to attend the setting up of and opening of the exhibition and conduct an artist talk/presentation.
A panel of three jury members will review the application materials. Jury members are:
- Ng Swan Ti, Managing Director of PannaFoto Institute and Exhibitions Director at Jakarta International Photo Institute. Emerging Category Mentor for 2023
- Roger Nelson, curator, art historian, and Assistant Professor of Art History in the School of Humanities at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Open Category Curator for 2023.
- Muhammad Fadli Documentary Photographer and Producer, Emerging Category Mentor for 2022
- Siddharta Perez Curator, Educator and Organiser, Open Category Curator for 2022
- Chelsea Chua, Programme Director, Objectifs
When: 7 Mar - 16 Apr 2023, - 23:59PM