Returning for the fifth year, Wan Qing CultureFest 2015 will present more than 20 exciting arts and cultural activities headlined by both established and budding homegrown artists. From 21 November – 5 December 2015, visitors of all ages can look forward to vibrant performances, craft workshops, documentary screenings, public lectures and more.
Kickstarting the festival on the opening night is a talk show and performance by Singapore’s getai veteran Liu Ling Ling; a live fusion music performance presented by instrumental band Flame of the Forest, which features two Chinese brothers playing Singapore’s multicultural songs using Indian instruments; and a cross-cultural dance performance by homegrown artist Alex Tan.
Other events over the two-week festival include:
• Night Under the Stars – Medley of Opera, where visitors can enjoy the traditional art forms of gezaixi and face changing, as well as be thrilled by cultural group Tok Tok Chiang’s inaugural attempt at executing 50 face changes in its opera act, in celebration of SG50;
• Hands-on workshops involving various art forms which allow participants to bring home a piece of their own creation – Silkscreen Printing Workshop, Chinese Opera Mask Painting Workshop and Shrink Art Keychain Workshop;
• The Hunt for the Red Lion documentary screening, an exciting re-interpretation of the legend of Sang Nila Utama, and a sharing session by the film producer;
• An in-depth look into the journey of Xinyao (literally meaning “songs of Singapore” in Mandarin) through a sharing session on The Songs We Sang Xinyao documentary by Singapore filmmaker, Ms Eva Tang;
• For the finale, enjoy a variety show that showcases Singapore’s iconic clothing over the past 50 years and a mini pasar malam reimagining the old street scenes of Singapore.
More info on www.wanqingyuan.org.sg
Venue: Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall
Admission fees: Free admission for all
When: 21 Nov - 5 Dec 2015, 10am - 5pm