Portrait of Home, a new photobook of works by 87-year-old Lim Kwong Ling, will be launched today by Objectifs Centre for Photography and Film.
Following his successful solo exhibition of the same title at Objectifs in 2019, Portrait of Home compiles more than 60 black-and-white photographs by Lim, a veteran of the Singapore salon and art photography scene in the 1960s and 1970s.
Taken in the then-popular pictorialist and modernist styles, Lim’s photographs of landscapes, people’s lives by the coast, children, people at work, night scenes and family photos tell the story of one man’s bond with a rapidly changing country.
Other highlights of the hardcover book include:
- Photographs not previously seen in the Portrait of Home exhibition
- Essays by heritage blogger Jerome Lim, writer Zhuang Wubin, visual artist Charles Lim, Portrait of Home exhibition curator Ryan Chua and Lim’s grandson Maximilian Lim
- Quotes from Lim, his children, and friends featured in his photographs
- A special selection of Lim’s own family photos
Exhibition curator and Outreach Director of Objectifs, Ryan Chua, says,
The strong public response to Mr Lim’s works in the Portrait of Home exhibition last year motivated us to work with him on a photobook compiling these images. Together with the memories and anecdotes generously shared by Mr Lim, his family members and others, the book will serve as a lasting archive of Singapore’s early years of independence and the photography styles of the time.
Portrait of Home will retail at S$50.00 but a 20% discount will apply on purchases made via Objectifs’ web store till 30 Jun, 2359h.
Purchase the book at: www.objectifs.com.sg/product/portrait-of-home.
#ObjectifsPortraitOfHome Social Media Contest
What does a “portrait of home” look like to you? Share your images on Facebook and Instagram with the hashtag #ObjectifsPortraitOfHome and stand to win one of three Portrait of Home book + postcard set bundles in our contest judged by Lim Kwong Ling himself.
- Share your photo on Facebook and / or Instagram with the hashtag #ObjectifsPortraitOfHome. Your Facebook post and / or Instagram account need to be public.
- Follow fb.com/objectifscentre and / or instagram.com/objectifscentre
with the tag #ObjectifsPortraitOfHome in your post.
- This contest will run from 2 Jun 2020 to 23 Jun 2020, 2359h. Multiple entries are welcome.
- Please respect safe-distancing measures while shooting your images.
- Participants retain rights to their images. Participants grant Objectifs permission to share their images on Objectifs’ social media with credit.